Our mission is to provide high-quality, comprehensive, community-sensitive health care utilizing Christ-oriented principles.
Southern Indiana Community Health Care (SICHC) is a nonprofit community health center committed to providing a broad spectrum of primary health care and integrated behavioral health to Orange and Crawford counties since 1975.
To achieve our mission, SICHC is guided by the following values:
- We value health care that is comprehensive, continuous and accessible by the people in our communities.
- We value health care delivery with compassion and concern for the whole person.
- We value being attentive to the needs of the materially poor, providing them access to health care at a reachable cost.
- We value delivery of health care by a team of professionals from various backgrounds working in a coordinated fashion to impact various areas of life.
- We exist as a resource to the community to support and develop systems which protect and enrich the lives of community members.
In 1974, a group of nurse practitioners and physicians moved to Paoli after completing their medical training in Indianapolis. With the financial help of a Robert Woods Johnson grant, they ambitiously established Comprehensive Health Care in Paoli. The building housed a pharmacy, medical services, counseling, a dentist, and a health educator. In the next decade they expanded by adding an office in English. They also contributed to the start up of local projects such as child care services, Women, Infants and Children (WIC), and a child health nutrition and immunization project.
Over the decades there have been changes in personnel and the addition of two other sites in Marengo and West Baden, but the basic mission remains--quality, broad-reaching health care to our local communities. This takes the form of office care for infants and children, pregnancy care, and adult health care, including hospital and nursing home settings.
Our providers have continued their commitment to ongoing service in many ways, both professionally and in community support through health education in schools, assisting with the schools' sport physicals and head injury program, working with recycling and renewable energy in our buildings, promotion and participation in the health coalition and system of care, and in development of the Orange County Community Garden. As we look to the next decades, we continue to prepare ourselves for responding to ongoing community needs, including mental health services, addiction management, rural obstetrics and maternal care, and wellness programs.
It's all about community
Summer fun at the Community Garden
Here to meet you, at first breath...